High quality product is essential for the survival of any business. Without good products, start-ups won’t be able to last long in a highly competitive and dynamic marketplace. It’s important to continuously improve our products, but all excellent products start from great prototypes. Creation of a prototype from the basic concept is essential in any product development process. It’s the next important stage since the conceptualization phase and before the final product is released to the market. There are five important stages from the idea conceptualization to the introduction of prototype to the market:
- Generation of Ideas: Prototype development starts from the creation of ideas. This applies for both large corporate and small businesses. Bad and mediocre ideas must be eliminated immediately during the creation stage. Due to limitation of resources, sometimes we need to choose between multiple exceptional ideas. Small businesses can withstand the intense competition from large corporate by having their own excellent product that can take advantage of untapped niches in the market. It can be inefficient for large companies to fill all niches and this is a great opportunity to consider during the screening of ideas. Excellent concepts can be gathered from customers, competitors, latest trends, journals and media. This is a crucial stage during the prototype development and it determines the overall process.
- Screening of Ideas: During the screening phase, there should already be a collection of viable ideas that we can implement. We may seek opinions from distributors, marketing professionals, customers and other knowledgeable individuals about specific ideas. In this case, we should know about latest technological changes and developments. Eventually, we will only have the best available idea.
- Concept Development: Before the final idea becomes a physical prototype, we should further develop the prototype design. This will allow us to adjust important factors, such as profits, revenues and potential costs. After the idea generation and screening stages, we should repeat the SWOT analysis to make sure that there are favorable changes in strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. We will be able to fine tune the product’s target group and market segmentation.
- Prototype Development: In essence, prototype is a mock up with partial or full functionality for research and demonstration purposes. When developing prototype, we should make sure that it fully matches with the prototype design. The creation of the prototype should facilitate better sales in the market. Based on prototype tests, we should be able to determine whether the prototype is appropriate for large-scale production.
- Commercialization: During prototype development process, we should have favorable results that can become basis for large scale production and commercialization. After a number of improvements, prototypes can turn into final, usable products. Our products should match with market research and latest trends.
China Assured works with various firms that provide rapid prototyping in China. Excellent products can be developed very quickly since the generation of idea to the commercialization stage.